The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) stated on Thursday, May 21, 2026, that it anticipates little to no action from the United Nations (UN) regarding a submission by a Japanese nongovernmental organization (NGO) seeking the provisional release of detained former President Rodrigo Duterte from the International Criminal Court (ICC).
DFA Rejects Claims as Baseless
The DFA noted that the group, International Career Support Association (ICSA), previously made statements before the UN Human Rights Council alleging that Duterte's surrender to the ICC was politically motivated. The Philippine foreign affairs agency rejected these claims, labeling them as "baseless."
"The United Nations routinely receives such statements and circulates these as a matter of procedure, without comments or any other actions," the DFA said in a statement.
No Formal Response Expected
The DFA added that it does not expect the Human Rights Council or the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights to take action on the submission, emphasizing that similar filings by the same group in the past had not resulted in any formal response. "What the records show are the UN and its member states calling for accountability," the DFA said, noting that previous claims made by the organization had not led to any corresponding action.
Background on the NGO
The International Career Support Association, based in Nara Prefecture, Japan, holds special consultative status with the UN Economic and Social Council, allowing it to participate in certain UN meetings and discussions. According to UN records, the group works on issues including human rights, education, agriculture, and science and technology.
The DFA clarified that the organization's submissions are routinely processed under standard UN procedures and do not necessarily prompt further investigation or action by UN bodies.



