Cebu Province Distributes P13.94M Aid to Quake Victims in Medellin, Daanbantayan
Cebu Province Distributes P13.94M Aid to Quake Victims

The Cebu Provincial Government started distributing P13.94 million in cash assistance to over 1,000 earthquake survivors in Medellin and Daanbantayan on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, nearly eight months after a magnitude 6.9 earthquake hit northern Cebu. Governor Pamela Baricuatro led the distribution at the Medellin Sports Complex after the Provincial Board (PB) approved the funds, following months of administrative revisions and compliance checks.

The cash assistance, amounting to P10,000 for each completely destroyed house, was sourced from the Capitol's disaster trust fund. The executive department first endorsed the proposal in November 2025. It underwent changes and was resubmitted between November 2025 and April 2026 to address formatting inconsistencies, signature requirements, and legal questions about funds nearing expiration.

On Wednesday, 1,092 beneficiaries were from Medellin and 302 from Daanbantayan. The distribution, attended by Medellin Mayor Edwin Salimbangon, Daanbantayan Mayor Gilbert Arrabis, and 4th District Provincial Board Member Nelson Mondigo, marked the first release of calamity cash assistance from the provincial government.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Despite the delay in releasing financial aid, beneficiaries were happy to receive it. Samson Aribo, a 32-year-old e-bike driver from Barangay Lanao, Daanbantayan, had previously received about P35,000 in aid from national, local, and private sources, which helped rebuild his completely destroyed house. He said he would use the P10,000 from the province to buy cement for his house floor.

Maria Carmelita Granada, 63, from Medellin, lives near a sinkhole. She said they had no choice but to stay because their house was large and they could not afford to move or rebuild. Granada had previously received P15,000 from national and local sources to gradually repair their home. She said the provincial aid would also be used for floor repairs.

The provincial government continued distributing cash assistance on Thursday, May 21, in San Remigio, where an additional P34.38 million was released for 3,438 earthquake survivors. According to a SunStar Cebu report on April 8, over P400 million in disaster trust funds remained pending at the PB, causing delays in aid for earthquake and typhoon survivors. Assistant Provincial Administrator Aldwin Empaces said the delays stalled important aid that could have been released in 2025.

The P473.58 million fund was originally intended for aid to victims of the September 2025 earthquake and Typhoon Tino in November 2025, as well as for purchasing mobile kitchens, mobile clinics, and a sea ambulance. The PB approved the use of disaster funds on April 13, after cutting P68.7 million from the original proposal, as parts of the 2020 allocations had legally expired under Republic Act 10121.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration